motordcharlie

a journal, of sorts

Monday, October 18, 2004

Diarios de motocicleta

Saturday night, Jen and I went out to celebrate our anniversary. It isn't on Sweetest Day, that was just the closest free day we had (stupid Hallmark holiday!). We had a nice dinner and then went to see a movie: Diarios de motocicleta, "The Motorcycle Diaries". A film based on the journals of Ernesto Che Guevara and Alberto Granato as they took a motorcycle trip across Latin America. The film was beautifully shot, and had a endearing human element. I only comment on the human element because I find the history books, as well as those that compile/write them, only recount the basic facts about their subjects and with cold, sometimes slanted text. The film shows how the events that happened to Ernesto helped shape his future. Very poignant. Also a beautiful 1939 Norton 500 motorcycle( Dad would like that!). I think I'd like to read Ernesto's diaries of this trip.
Speaking of reading, I'm making my way through (2nd try, I might add) Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I am enjoying this book very much. I can say that I wasn't ready to read it the first time I tried. Something about motorcycles that fascinates me...is it a symbolism? Or the idea of being outside of a car and more into your surroundings? Hmmm...Anyway the book is grabbing me thoroughly, and despite my "responsibilities" I'm having difficulties putting it down. It makes me wish I could have been on the trip the author is writing about(I guess the book is close enough). It also makes me want a motorcycle, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home