motordcharlie

a journal, of sorts

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

10 Great Live Albums

Okay, being a musician I haven't always been fond of live albums. What I found to be the most displeasing thing about them was the fact that most bands sounded so much different live than they did on their records. Of course now I realize that there are limitations to what can be played live as opposed to what comes out of a studio. This problem is becoming less thanks to great advances in technology, however there is still one truth that must be upheld: the bands still have to play well. Technology can't save a group of lackluster musicians. Some of today's popular music reflects this- I would say most of today's popular music, but I am trying to remain optimistic! So now, as I listen back to some past live albums, I begin to realize that I enjoy the music because, I feel, it catches a particular moment much better than a studio album could. I can also feel the energy between the band and the audience and it makes me want to go rock out and break shit! With all that in mind, I now give you my 10 favorite live albums-in no particular order:
1. MC5-Kick Out the Jams This one kicks my ass and leaves me wanting more. Recorded @ the Grande Ballroom, Detroit, MI.
2. The Who-Live at Leeds Another powerful one that was made better with a "Deluxe Edition" release of the entire show on two CD's. One of my favorite bands.
3. Motorhead-No Sleep 'til Hammersmith It's Motorhead...need I say more?
4. Social Distortion-Live at the Roxy The great thing about these guys is that you get what you get. There's no b.s. between the band and the audience. Just listen to Mike Ness tell someone what they can do with the finger they keep waving at him! Classic.
5. Phish-A Live One Man, I am sorry that I never got to see these guys live. This one was recorded over the period of a year, so it's not one specific concert. That does not take away from it at all though. Two disks and long jams make it memorable.
6. Jethro Tull-Bursting Out Once again, a great album made better by a re-release of the whole show on 2 disks. Very powerful, very progressive.
7. Pink Floyd-The Wall Live '80-81 This album was also an accumulation of songs from different shows. The show was so big that they only performed it a handful of times and it didn't happen without some technical difficulties. Nevertheless, it still sounds great.
8. The Police-Live This album contains two shows (Boston 1979 and Atlanta 1983). What's cool about this one is the time difference between the shows. In Boston, there was a great band with great energy. In Atlanta, there was a better band playing with great energy. You could hear how their touring made them a better group. Damn, they play the songs fast!
9. The Amazing Crowns-Payback Live A now defunct psychobilly band puts out one of its greatest shows in front of a hometown crowd at the Payback Lounge, Providence RI. I was sorry to see them break-up.
10. R.L. Burnside-Burnside on Burnside 74 year old blues musician plays a show that would put bands half his age to shame. Backed by his 22 year old grandson Cedric on drums and 48 year old 'adopted son' Kenny on slide guitar, this one will have you movin' before the first song is over.
Leave me stranded on a tropical island with these albums and a way to play them and I'd be a happy monkey. At least there wouldn't be a volleyball named Wilson...I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home